When migrating to another tape generation, it may be neccessary to migrate archived data to a different pool as well.
- PresSTORE offers an option to migrate a set of archive volumes to another volume pool. To do so:
- Create an Archive Pool on the (new) destination drive using the Media pool manager
- Navigate to the Volume manager and select the volumes to migrate from the existing pool
- Select in the menu Edit -> Migrate ...
- Pass the new volume pool as destination.
Note that in order to do so, you will need the new and the old tape drive.
For backup volumes, this feature is not available. Technically, this is because backup tapes contain additional index structures that cannot be converted this way. From a more general point of view: Backups are actually not intended for long time archiving data, so the simple migration path is: perform the next full backup on the new tape and keep the old tape until all backup cycles are on new media.